Is it possible to find a healthy, light and tasty creamy cheese? There are several possibilities and, among them, we find the recipe for labneh, a cheese prepared from yogurt, very easy to make at home and which will be a real hit on the table.
If you want to learn how to do it step by step, read on! You will get a perfect, healthy spreadable cheese that you can season as you wish to vary the flavors.
Labneh recipe: Mediterranean cheese spread
This creamy cheese is part of the traditional dishes of some countries such as Syria, Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon or Greece. Although you can buy it ready-made in some markets, it is usual to prepare it yourself at home.
This is a simple recipe for several reasons. Two ingredients are enough: yogurt and salt. Besides, you only need a few cooking utensils and there is no need for cooking, just a little time and patience to achieve a fantastic result.
Thanks to its consistency and neutral flavor, yoghurt cheese is very versatile when serving it. Like hummus, it is perfect for dipping bread, toast or vegetable sticks. It’s also a creamy seasoning for a sandwich or salad.
In addition, thanks to its very easy preparation and versatility in the kitchen, it will surely turn into a habit in your family recipes!
Recipe for labneh or fromage frais from yogurt
As with all recipes, the amounts may vary depending on how many people are going to eat and how much is needed for the presentation chosen.
Ingredients and utensils needed
- 500 grams of plain yogurt.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- To serve: unlimited extra virgin olive oil, spices or fresh herbs.
- Cotton, gauze or similar fabric, wide and thick (otherwise the yogurt will pass through).
- 1 large bowl.
- 1 large colander.
How to make the homemade labneh recipe
- The first step is to stretch the cotton fabric over the colander. It is preferable that the latter is also fine mesh. Place on top of the bowl so that there is enough space in between to drain the yogurt.
- Pour the yogurt into a container, add the salt and mix with chopsticks.
- Fold carefully into the fabric. Tighten well and tie with a cord or pliers. Put in the fridge.
- If you want to obtain a spreadable cream, 8 or 10 hours of drainage is sufficient. Remove from the gauze and season with olive oil and fresh spices or herbs, as you wish. If you are not going to consume it immediately, put it in an airtight container.
- It is also possible to obtain a more dense texture; in this case, it is necessary to drain between 24 and 36 hours. By removing it from the fabric and using spoons, prepare cheese balls. Place in a crystal jar with sweet olive oil and other condiments if more flavor is desired.
Some versions of the recipe use a little whole milk. This must boil and be mixed with the yogurt. Although it’s a little more fun way to prepare it, the result is just as creamy and delicious.